A couple of weeks ago, I was diagnosed with depression. I think I knew I had some issues, but didn’t want to face them head on. In episode 16 of Life Through a Dram, I talk about finally realizing I needed help, and why we need to talk openly about depression.
Topics on the menu include:
- The moment I couldn’t take another step forward
- Realizing I had depression
- Why we need to treat mental health the same way we treat physical ailments
- How to be a friend to someone with mental health issues
- Why mental health issues isn’t something that "just goes away"
- How open and honest conversations are the only way we’ll end the stigma around mental health
If you need someone to talk to, or you want to understand more about friends with mental health issues, I highly recommend the website Mental Health and Me.
*Disclaimer – this is my wife’s website, but it’s already an amazing resource for both people with mental health issues and those who wish to be a "better friend" to those that suffer from it.
- Mental Health and Me
- My Top 10 Coping Mechanisms for Down Days (free ebook)
- The Friendship Bench
- Anxiety and Depression Society of America
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
This week’s whisky is the Bowmore 12 year old. Slainte var.
Support Life Through a Dram